i just love headliner's

i just love headliner’s
Current mood: chipper
Headliner's Music Hall in Louisville, Kentucky, is one of my absolute favorite places to play. Some people like it because when you're onstage, you get a lovely view of your own band in giant mirror across the room. I like to position myself in front of a pole, so i can't see myself, but i can still see Peter's orange pants. They are always the highlight of any good rock show.

I just like it because it feels like a great rock show. Big enough to have higher-than-average energy, but small enough to see the crowd.

Code Red and Marion Square kicked off the evening, which was a really nice opening to the evening. McCall's got this beautiful voice and had on a sassy shirt to boot.

My band took stage right after Marion Square. Most of the crowd at that point seemed to be there for them, and honestly, they were quite rude as I took stage. This amused me immensely, and at that point i couldn't wait to play. A few boys thought it would be clever to "dance country" to the bluegrass song i opened with ("Whisky in the Faucet"). They just looked stupid. The best part was that pretty much everyone who was there -- most of whom had never heard me before -- stayed for my whole set. I sold loads of CD's, and the band got compliments galore. There is nothing i like better than playing to a challenge -- a crowd who doesn't know my music or my act. it's much more satisfying when these folks have a good time at the show than when my mom tells me i'm good.

My favorite part of the evening was when "Blue Dreidel No. 9" morphed into "The Immigrant Song." Peter and I had planned this, but i was not expecting the amazing Steve Cooley to jump in playing Jimmy Page note-for-note. I yodeled a verse of that, and went back into the Dreidel tune, and cleared the path for Peter Searcy to rock.

Peter Searcy's rock show was full of sweat, Eric's killer guitar licks, orange pants, twirling drumsticks, and boots on the piano. He is a true performer, and it is soooooo much fun being in his band.

I played accordion on one tune for The Muckrakers -- a tune which should be available for download on their webpage. They're melodies are so smooth and guitars so pretty. And they are history nerds, like me. Love that.

Digby was destroying the place with their sweet pop rock when i had to leave early to take a drunk friend home.

But i wasn't ready for home yet, so i high-tailed it to Third Street Dive to dance dance dance to Johnny Berry and the Outliers. Steve Cooley was two-timing that night.. playing with JB after me. i jumped onstage to sing "Jackson" with Johnny, and also another old yodeling tune, "Cowboy's Sweetheart." My favorite moment of the night was when I yodeled a chorus, then turned the stage over to Steve Cooley for a guitar solo -- and instead, he yodeled. Who knew?!

The yodel brings out happiness in all who hear it. I suggest you give it a try.

0 comments