Big Band, Road Trips, Great books you never read.

Big Band, Road Trips, Great books you never read.
Current mood: inspired
Category: Blogging
Last night I sang a few tunes with the Don Krekel Orchestra, a 17-piece Big Band, with saxophones, trombones, trumpets, and more. I absolutely love old standards and showtunes. Cole Porter's lyrics, George Gershwin's melodies, Ella Fitzgerald's voice, supper clubs, dancing, and more. Who could ask for anything more?

I opened with "Lady is a Tramp" and "Embraceable You." I got chills when the trumpets swelled up to the big ending.

WFPK's Laura Shine also joined the band, and sang KILLER versions of "Cry Me a River" and "Teach me Tonight." You've heard her mellifluous voice on the radio, but you probably haven't heard her sing. A few months ago, I was at the MERF benefit and rand into Laura. We got to talking about what would be our music alter-egos, and Laura confessed that her secret fantasy was to sing with a Big Band.

I grew up listening to Big Band music because my grandfather played trumpet professionally, and I studied jazz piano. But I forget that most people never hear that kind of music, especially not live, and especially not in Louisville, Kentucky.

Of course, I told Laura that I sing with a Big Band about once a year and that she needed to join me next time. I'm not sure if she thought I would follow-up with it, but when I emailed her about singing with the Don Krekel Orchestra, she was 100% in. And last night, she nailed her two songs, and I tell you, I would pay to hear her sing a whole set. I know that my voice is not necessarily suited to Big Band music; i just LOVE singing with them. But Laura sounded AMAZING, like she belonged up there.

I hope to post some YouTube footage of both of us. Check out my YouTube channel, and please please subscribe! www.youtube.com/brigidkaelin

In the mean time, check out a new video, from the February 8 show at The 930. It's a live version of "You Make Me Wanna Go to Church," featuring Steve Cooley, Peter Searcy, and Scott Lankford.
I may post a few other songs from that show, so check back.
Hmmmm... what else?

My internet was down for a couple of days, so that was me sitting outside Heine Bros. in my Volvo.

In those few days, I had an overwhelmiing and sudden realization: I need an iPhone.

I sat next to a charming couple at the Todd Snider show on Saturday, and they agreed that I do indeed need an iPhone. Really, it's a business move. I don't have an office. I'm on the road all the time. There's not always internet and a laptop available. Sometimes I need directions, email, and song lyrics, as well as total access to YouTube and iTunes IMMEDIATELY. Who knows who i'll be sitting next to on a plane, and I'll need to whip out my Electronic Press Kit. I totally need an iPhone.

...

I did an interview with Louisville Magazine about books I'm reading. One of the questions was: What great book do you know you ought to have read, but you never have? Great question. I'm keeping my answer secret, but I open the floor to your answers.

...
And I'm leaving for Texas on Saturday! I'm stopping in Nashville Saturday, but probably will head to Memphis to visit my college friend Garrett. Plus, I've never spent any time in Memphis. Then ... onward to Austin on Sunday i think. I cannot wait to make the drive. I need an iPhone. I also need to mount a video camera in the car so I can video blog from the highway. I need an iPhone.

0 comments