The other side of SXSW

I think most people don't admit this, but I'm just going to say it. I am not interested in most of the bands playing officially at SXSW. Most of them I haven't heard of, and upon inspection, I just don't get it. Does this make me old?

Last year the buzz on the street at SXSW was about this weird all-girl band from Denmark or some other Scandinavian country. I saw them, and I wasn't impressed. I was bored, actually, and left early to go see Buddy Miller instead.

Of course, I was also the only one on 6th Street with a wide-brimmed cowgirl hat because, well, I promised my dermatologist that I would start acting like a redhead who cares about her skin. The hipsters all smirked or said, "Nice hat." I really didn't care. In fact, I'm a little annoyed with myself that I forgot that particular hat this year. My floppy wide-brimmed green hat with flowers will have to do.

Anyway, I'm not really concerned with the music for this year's SXSW. I'm mostly excited to hang out with all of my industry friends from around the country, all of whom are converging in Austin this week. It'll be radio folks from New Jersey, attorneys from Nashville, promoters from LA, and even some friends in Louisville whom I don't see on a regular basis. I'm ready for the madness to begin.

I played that gospel brunch on Sunday morning, but I've been on vacation since then. It's been a beautiful thing, not knowing where I am, being driven around by a former local and driving by the lake with the ragtop down so my hair can blow (girlies on standby, wavin' just to say "hi", did you stop? no i just drove by.... sorry, Vanilla Ice tangent, i couldn't help myself.) Anyway, the convertible in 88 degree weather with only two lonely clouds in the sky and nowhere to be has bee great.

Tomorrow: Music Industry camp time! And I'll go hear your Prog-Electronica-all-girl-German band if you want me to, but if I don't like it, I'm not going to pretend like I get it. Sometimes I feel like they're just tricking us.

0 comments