SXSW, Hard Rock Cafe, Libraries, and TEXAS!!

I was commiserating with my friend Lauren, who blogs for the Louisville newspaper, about the pressures of writing for new media. She just puts it all out there, and by all, I mean absolutely everything: her love life, her family, her personal hygiene, her mental issues. It's wildly entertaining, but sometimes painful to read. She commented to me that I at least always have a topic: music.

That made me think that I haven't really been blogging about music lately. I haven't really been playing a lot of music lately. I've been writing a lot. I've been practicing my scales. But I haven't been on tour in what seems like forever. That A Prairie Home Companion show was eight weeks ago!

My calendar is looking up, however, so I'm back to blogging about what I love: playing music.

Tomorrow night I'm playing with one of my Top Five (artists, you pervert), David Mead, at the Hard Rock Cafe in Louisville. It's an ALL AGES show, for a mere $5, which will benefit Musicians On Call. Doors are at 7:00, and I will begin shortly after 8:00. David plays at 9:30.

The Hard Rock show should be fun. I'm playing with a string section! Well, sort of. Cello by Peter Searcy and Upright Bass by Danny Kiely. When those two start bowing and I've got a piano thing going, it is oh-so-beautiful.

Friday night, I'm playing just outside of Cincinnati, at the Boone County Library in Boone County, Kentucky, with Rob and Brian of The Muckrakers. This is our first time playing together, live on-stage, even though we've been talking about it for what seems like years. I can't wait to spend some quality time with Rob in the Tour Bus (Shhhhhh.... Rob, just go with it, don't let them know it's not a bus....) and see if he's really as witty and charming as his blogs suggest. From what I know about him already, though, we may not even make it up there because we may be stopping at every roadside historical marker for a closer look.

After Friday's show, I'm off to ...... TEXAS! A blog about my love for Texas will surely come later, but for now, let's just talk about my show on Sunday, March 15, playing some accordion with Guy Forsyth in AUSTIN at Maria's Taco Express. Guy is Austin Music Scene Royalty, a founder of the Asylum Street Spankers, and the reason I play the musical saw. He's also my best friend's brother.

I'm going insane with daydreams of Chuy's salsa bar and late night breakfasts from Magnolia and vegetarian tamales from Polvos and swimming in Barton Springs and dancing in honky tonks and all the concerts I'll be hitting next week.

Obviously, I'll be blogging daily from South by Southwest, just like I did last year. Scroll back to the archives (March 2008) to read about my SXSW adventures of yore.

At this time, I'd like to call on you for some suggestions. Specifically, I'm looking for:
- Texas trivia
- your favorite Austin hotspots
- favorite books about Texas (I'm currently reading the James Michener tome, so anything under 1000 pages would be preferable).
- Texas playlists for my iPod

adios, cowboys!
brigid

0 comments