Five songs ... any five songs.

There's a show Louisville's WFPK called "Off the Record," where a musician or music industry professional selects 5 songs and talks about them on air. Any five songs. It can be a theme, or it can be five random songs.

I'm recording an "Off the Record" this morning down at the radio station, and I've been over-thinking my five songs all weekend. Should it be my five favorite songs? Should I make an Awesome Summer Mix E.P.? Should they be my five favorite artists? or my influences? Should I include a local artist just to support my friends? Ugh, so many choices.

WFPK doesn't even play the entire tune, just excerpts from the song as the guest talks about why they like the tune. So really, it seems, the program focuses on the guest. Now I'm over-thinking the audience and wondering what they would care to know about me...

My five song choices are all older songs, all written long before I was born. I didn't do that on purpose. I decided to choose songs that reminded me of different points in my life. It's funny how a song can immediately take you to a particular place in time and you can remember exactly what you were doing or thinking when you heard it.

One of the songs immediately makes me want to clean my house. Another reminds me of the first time I realized I wanted to be in a band. Another makes me want to write songs. Another makes me want to dance, travel, sing, and frolic. And one makes me want to do something amazing.

What are your five songs? Any theme or no theme.

If you're curious about the format, you can get the "Off the Record" Podcast FREE on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=288373080.
Mine is not available as it has not been recorded or aired yet on WFPK.org/91.9

2 comments

  1. Hi Brigid,

    Very cool, let us know when yours comes out.

    I just sent you a super long email through myspace with info about you visiting us here in Western Mass, be sure to check it out!

    Troy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should pick the songs that have personal meaning for you, your audience be damned. How are they going to get to know the "real" you unless you share what "really" inspires you?

    ReplyDelete