Nightracing!

I love horseracing. Obviously it has something to do with growing up in Louisville. But it also reminds me of My Fair Lady and of being completely decadent. Going to Churchill Downs is exciting, not just because of the races, but because of the energy and the history that envelops the track. I love knowing that for a century and a half, people have stood in those stadiums and watched those amazingly strong creatures gallop around the track.

One of my favorite things to do is to get up at 6am during Derby week and go to the backside to watch the race horses train. They are pure atheletes with glistening muscles and a competitive nature. I still get chills when I watch the old newsreel footage of Secretariat winning the Belmont by thirty lengths. Watch that video if you get a chance.

I don't go to the track often because I'm usually busy during the day. But Churchill Downs has started: NIGHT RACING! It's from 4:00 - midnight and features Happy Hour, tons of live music, food, fancy cocktails, and horse races. I also happen to be playing from 4-10 (yes, 4:00-10:00 between races) in the Triple Crown Room ..... fancy!

I must admit, I'm really excited about getting dressed up and heading to the track. I hope this is something that Churchill Downs is going to continue. Will be Twittering (or Tweeting or Twitting or whatever you call it) from the event.

0 comments