Brigid babbles and plans to babble even more. And 7 Mary 3 video.

'm going to start blogging more. Fun things are happening, and the people need to know!

I've been doing the Nashville thing again a lot lately. And the strangest thing is happening. When I come back to Louisville on Monday or Tuesday mornings, I find myself a little bit depressed. It's the same feeling I used to have near the end of my stint in New York City. I visited Louisville a lot in between my mother's chemo treatments. Every time I flew back to New York on Monday morning, I felt sad, as if I didn't really want to be there. That time it was because I wanted to be in Louisville; this time it's because I want to be in Nashville.

I know, I know, I should just stop talking about it and move already. I'm working on it. Anyone want to rent my third bedroom in the Highlands?

Anyway, I think part of it is that I actually feel like I do live in Nashville. I've got a room here, and I have friends who call me to go do adventurous things. Last Friday, I went to hear Greg Foresman at 3rd & Lindsley. He wasn't playing until late, so i had a drink with his fabulous bass player, Tim Halcomb (danny flanigan's bass player), and listened to Greg Martin play guitar. I'm not one of those guitar nerds, but i sat at the bar COMPLETELY in awe of his skills and tasteful playing. Greg Martin is in the Kentucky Headhunters, and that night was playing with his new band, Rufus Huff. He was also playing this 1958 original Gibson Les Paul ... i mean it's worth more than my house. I love that he's out there playing it. I imagine the rest of those still in existence are locked up in vaults somewhere wasting away.

The coolest part of the evening was when he came up to me after the show -- yes, he came up to me -- and said, "Brigid, I'm Greg, it is so nice to meet you. I am a big fan of yours." See, my friend, THAT is why I love Nashville. I was completely floored and tried telling him how amazing his playing was. It turned into a cutesy little, "YOU'RE great, no YOU'RE great!" moment. And then Greg Foresman played, and just ripped it up too. I've still got "Strike Up the Band" in my head. I sang backup for him once about two years ago, and i still remember every harmony and lyric.

Hmmmm ... what else have I done lately? I saw Shannon Lawson play twice last week, once in Louisville and once in Nashville. You Louisvillians probably saw him when he lived there and was in the Galoots. Well, that was when I was in high school, so I missed out on the fun. But he's uber-talented. And if you don't know him, or have forgotten because he's been in Nashville so long, then get ready to remember. He makes a special appearance on my new record, and it's gonna bring a tear to your eye. (I'm not so good at the "surprise" part of "surprise guest." I never have been. That's why I never have Christmas presents for people. If I find a gift in October, then I bequeath it in October. No sense in waiting!)

I'm getting my new record mastered this week and am plotting its release upon the world.

I'm going to South by Southwest in a few weeks and am stoked about several things there. The most exciting part is that I get to see Lyzz, my college roommate and BFF. I haven't been to Austin in two years, since Lyzzie's wedding (she's still married -- amazing!). I'm bringing my swimsuit for Barton Springs. My favorite thing about Austin is that you get chips-n-salsa EVERYWHERE. Chips-n-salsa might just be my favorite food, after ripe watermelon.

Tonight I'm in Nashville, and i'm planning on seeing Jonell Mosser at 3rd & Lindsley as well as Eric Wilson at the Five Spot. Tomorrow I'm going to get brunch. Maybe I'll blog about how much i love brunch. I wonder if I'll have chips-n-salsa with my french toast.

Ok, I'm just babbling now. Must stop. But i'm going to babble a lot more often, so check back or subscribe... i plan on getting into lots of mischief in the coming months. And putting many miles on the ol' Volvo.


Oh, check out this cool video of me playing accordion with 7 Mary 3! They have a new record out, and this is one of my favorite of their new songs .. "Upside Down." If you watch until the very end, then you get to see Jason Ross (the lead singer) giving a shout out to "brigid kaelin!!!" So cool.

0 comments