UK Tour: Day 12ish -- Edinburgh, at last.

I kind of wanted to sing "8 More Miles to Edinburgh" this morning on the way into town, except that's not really a song. But it was every bit as exciting to be returning to Edinburgh as it is to return to Louisville after a trip. It's hard to explain the magic of this city, but every single time I see that castle on the rock, I get chills. It's just like living in a fairy tale, and I think that's inspiring/fun/magical/whatever word you like.

As you may know, I also have a big thing for the Baked Potato Shop on Cockburn Street, so that was my first stop after catching up with a friend. It's not a fancy restaurant, but it's entirely vegetarian and a genius business plan.

I first discovered the Baked Potato Shop when I was 19 and frolicking around Edinburgh one spring break with my college roommate, Lyzzard. She and I stayed at the hostel across the street, and I was amazed to find not just a vegetarian restaurant, but a place that was delicious, inexpensive, and creative. I think I ate a potato for every meal. And I've pretty much done that every time I've come back to Edinburgh.

Today I overheard several folks talking to the owner about his imminent retirement and sale of the restaurant, and that gave me some mild heart palpitations. I'm not sure what Edinburgh would be like without the potato shop, but fortunately, I also heard him tell folks that the shop will remain open and mostly unchanged. So don't worry, folks, your potatoes are safe.

I wonder if the shop will be hiring? Maybe I could start a new career as a potato-ista.

0 comments