HebCelt Festival Recap and BBC radio today.

Last weekend we traveled to the remote Isle of Lewis where I was playing accordion/keys for a band at the Hebridean Celtic Festival. It's a bit of a misnomer, in that it seemed more like a roots music event sprinkled with Scottish bands of slightly celtic flavor. But I enjoyed that part of it, and the range of music made me wish I'd applied for my own artist slot as well, rather than just performing as a sideman. The big headliners were the Waterboys and The Proclaimers. David and I jumped up and down to "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)," which disturbed the baby only slightly. That song is still stuck in our heads.

A few folks came up to me after our shows and told me how rockin' it was that I was playing this music festival eight months pregnant (one of our shows didn't even start until 1am, and that was after 10+ hours of travel). That made me feel good.

Truthfully, I felt icky all weekend, and all I wanted to do was nap. During the shows was different; music endorphins work wonders for fatigue. But I'm pretty sure I slept more this weekend than I've ever done during a music festival -- shameful. The HebCelt staff took great care of me, though, making sure I had water and a chair. David made sure I didn't have to carry my heavy accordion very far. Thanks to everyone for making allowances for my "condition."

While we were there, we recorded a three-song set for BBC Radio Nan Gaidheal, which I think is a radio programme on BBC Scotland. Their website is all in Gaelic, so it's hard to say. Anyway, you should be able to listen over the interwebs. It airs today at 8:00pm GMT, which is 3:00pm Eastern. If you are able to listen, you'll hear me on accordion, piano, and backing vocals (I'm the girl singer). Look out for that little audio icon to guide you to listening:
If someone out there finds and easier way, let me know. My pregnancy brain isn't keen on focusing on anything right now, so I'm tired of staring at the website. (Actually, pretty much any text I stare at these days looks like Gaelic.) It was a great studio though, run by a kind staff who served us tea and cookies (biscuits) before we recorded the set. Gotta love the UK!

Also, you're welcome for this:

1 comments

  1. You should listen to this show...it was awesome! I think the staff and I were all crying at one point.

    B, thanks for the Proclaimers and the awesome show in Lewis...you are always a rockstar, pregnant or not.
    "You know I'm gonna be, I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you!"

    ReplyDelete