Baby update: No nesting, just stressing.

Less than five weeks until my due date, and I have seen no signs of "nesting." Unless you count that time I dusted off the whisky shelf a few weeks ago. Also, I still think that puppies are way cuter than babies and that Babies R Us is more terrifying than enlightening. Fortunately, David is not freaking out at my lack of baby talk and fear of pram shopping. He seems to think I'll still be a great mother, even if I don't have my newborn's "going home outfit" laid out and ironed.

Maybe it's because we are living in a one-bedroom flat, and there's no nursery for which we need to choose paint colors and hang mobiles. Maybe it's because I'm annoyed that I won't finish be completing that novel before baby arrives.

Mostly, it's because we've got a lot bigger things to be stressing out about than a clean house and freshly crocheted booties.

Everyone wants to know what our plans are. I don't know. I can tell you that D hands in his dissertation a week before the baby is due, and we're free to move home once this kid gets a passport.

Trouble is, there's no way I'm moving back to America without health insurance. And because of the screwed-up nature of America's health system (or lack of), that means we can't move back until D has a job. (For various reasons, buying a family individual policy is pretty much not an option.) Do you know how hard it is to find a job from four thousand miles away? Talk about pressure on the poor man. A dissertation and a job ... and all because his wife is self-employed.

Fun times, eh? Kind of makes "nesting" low-priority. Also, it reminds me that I'd better request our absentee ballots ASAP ... and get that whisky collection ready for re-entry into the household in T-minus five weeks.

By the way, anyone wanna hire a freshly-minted MBA? I'll brag on him and all the awards he got this year in another post, but mostly for now, I'll tell you he's hard-working and adorable (and currently washing about fifty onesies because his wife hasn't started nesting).

3 comments

  1. Mmmmm. Whiskey. Adding that to my list of things to consume first week sans internal alien. Don't stress. As long as there is a place for the baby to sleep, the rest will fall into place. I hear France has excellent healthcare...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My baby came 3 weeks early to the day so you might have less time lol I just made sure everything was clean and picked up so I had nothing to do when I came back from the hospital, and we didn't even use a coming home outfit because I didn't much care about getting Jonah dressed all cute, I just wanted out of the hospital1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two girls and I didn't nest at all. No biggie, you'll make it work because you have to.

    ReplyDelete