A Moment to Myself

I'm still a bit off-balance. It's hormones, sure, but it's also me trying to deal with not having alone time. I am re-energized when I get some time to myself, even if it's just 10 minutes to walk around the block. This silly baby is not cool with me even leaving the room, so I've been busy mood swingin' and going crazy.

Yesterday, David took over baby-duty and insisted I take some time to myself. (He's been freelance consulting and looking for full-time work, mostly because I cannot handle two self-employed people. Someone needs a retirement plan and health insurance. Hire him, will you? He'll be the best employee you've ever had. But I digress...)

You know what? I forgot what I like to do. If I were in Edinburgh, I would have walked to the castle. I would have popped into a free museum. I would have strolled through Princes Street Gardens or watched the swans in Inverleith Park.

I love Louisville dearly, but there is very little to do when you have no expendable income and no car. I walked up to Heine Brothers and sat outside on a bench (even though it was way cold yesterday -- yes, colder than it ever is in Scotland) and wrote "I think I'm going crazy" a hundred times in my journal. That is a slight exaggeration, but it's what I felt like writing. I'm pretty sure, instead, that I wrote a To Do List of all the things I should have been doing rather than writing in my journal.

Prove me wrong. What can you do on a cold day in Louisville with no money and no car?

Sorry for the lame blog. I'm about to get serious with those NHS blogs. I have loads to say about the birth and the postnatal care. Don't worry; it's nothing graphic.

Also, can someone help me move this blog to WordPress? I've had it up to here (pointing to my chin) with

2 comments

  1. We also had no money and no car when ours were as young as your little guy. We went to my mom's a lot, because she lived nearby.Perhaps there are some playgroups in the vicinity? Maybe through a local church or something? (There are several nearby)Somewhere that doesn't require shared beliefs or anything? One problem with these modern strollers is that I can't imagine getting on a bus with one, but maybe that's a possibility? I happen to know that there are at least three new moms in the nearby hood where you are - maybe the others would like to get together? In any case, once the weather warms up, it will get better. Hang in there, Brigid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right... and I cannot wait until spring. Really, I'm dying for summer and Lakeside.

      Delete