The Wee Boy's Favorite songs -- great songs to sing to toddlers.

He sings. Thank goodness he sings.

I've been joking that I want him to go to business school (no MFAs for this boy please!), but I think I would have been sad had he not had any bit of music in him. Obviously I'd still adore him (I mean, I love him even though he's not a ginger), but it would be tragic if he couldn't participate on impromptu Jesus Christ Superstar performances in the kitchen.

He's been coming to music class with me pretty much weekly for a year now, so it's not surprising. But it's so fun to hear him singing to himself like he has been the last few months.

Like every milestone he's hit, it came pretty much overnight. One night he just woke up at 2am -- typical, as he's pretty much up 3-5x a night every night anyway -- and started singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." He hasn't stopped singing since. His pitch needs work (#stagemom), but he'll get there.

I've studied enough early childhood development to know that, yes, the littles are always listening. They understand long before you think they do. But it was still mindblowing to realize that The Wee Boy knows the lyrics to SO many songs. It's like he's been paying attention in music class all this time, when I thought he was just shaking eggs and eating other kids' snacks.

I see all kinds of little kids at my Family Music Jam classes at Mama's Hip, and I love watching them grow up, take first steps, and say first words. Now I'm waiting for that moment when they suddenly burst into song.

Because they are listening. They truly are.


Songs The Wee Boy won't stop singing:

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" -- his first complete know-all-the-words song. Though he's since changed the words to "Now I understand what you are." Apparently, he doesn't wonder, he knows.
He reeeeeeeeeally likes the "diamond in the sky" part. Sometimes he'll get fancy and do a "Like a Diamond in the Sky/Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" mash-up. 

"Old MacDonald Had a Farm" -- This one surprises me because it's not one I do at music class very often. It's not one of my favorites, but apparently The Wee Boy loves it.

"Bumpin' Up and Down in my Little Red Wagon" - Every. Single. Lyric. I mean, the kid remembers more lyrics than I do.

"Yellow Submarine" -- More often than not, the first thing he says when he wakes up in the morning is "WE ALL LIVE IN A YELLOW SUBMARINE!"

"Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" - I think this song does more to actually encourage jumping on the bed than to deter it, but it sure is cute when he jumps up and down and shouts "NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED!"


What are your kids' favorite songs?

Edit to add: The Wee Boy keeps reminding me of other songs I need to add to this. I'll start posting setlists or full lyrics to the classics soon:)
 

0 comments