What I read in 2014.

I am on Goodreads. I don't advertise this because I have been in a fiction rut -- to the point where I've been reading mysterious, beach books, and novellas. One could say that I've been slightly embarrassed about my choice of books, but this probably stems from my competetiveness with my dad, who never reads a book with fewer than 900 pages and could be a talking head on the History Channel considering all the history tomes he has read. Even when he reads fewer books per year than I do, he triples my page count.

Anyway, last year was not a proud year of reading for me, but I did manage to finish 32 books -- 11131 pages. Here they are, and no judgment, otay? Otay.
favorite book of 2014 - Trains and Lovers
by Alexander McCall Smith


  1. Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way by Mayim Bialik
  2. Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcom Gladwell 
  3. Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island, #3) by Nora Roberts
  4. Trains and Lovers by Alexander McCall Smith
  5. Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8) by M.C. Beaton
  6. Paris: A Love Story by Kati Marton
  7. I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron
  8. Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)by M.C. Beaton
  9. Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)by M.C. Beaton
  10. My Bluegrass Baby (Bluegrass, #1) by Harper, Molly
  11. Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)by M.C. Beaton
  12. The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year by Massaro, Megan McGrory
  13.  Voyager (Outlander, #3)by Diana Gabaldon
  14. The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- To Four-Year-Old by Karp, Harvey
  15. Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon
  16. What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Newman, Kristin
  17. Sunshine on Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street #8)  Smith, Alexander McCall
  18.  Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs




     
  19. The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Rowling, J.K.
  20. The Fault in Our Stars by Green, John
  21. Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13) by M.C. Beaton
  22. Twenties Girl  by Sophie Kinsella
  23. Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
  24. Fatty O'Leary's Dinner Party by Alexander McCall Smith
  25. The Great Cake Mystery: Precious Ramotswe's Very First Case  by Alexander McCall Smith
  26. Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House (Agatha Raisin, #14) by MC Beaton
  27.   Call The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times  by Worth, Jennifer
  28. The Forever Girl by Smith, Alexander McCall
  29. What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Munroe, Randall
  30.  As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Elwes, Cary
  31. The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon
  32. Dark Places  by Gillian Flynn
You know, I said it wasn't a proud year, but there are a few books on this list that were beautiful and moved me to tears. My favorite of all them was probably Trains and Lovers by Alexander McCall Smith. I've said before that he is my favorite (favourite) author. Next time I'm in Edinburgh, I'd like to buy him a cuppa and just talk and see what musings he spouts. I could maybe bring up that his daughter has seen me naked (she was my GP after my son was born, but "your daughter has seen me naked" is perhaps a better hook). 

I also loved "Paris: A Love Story," but I adore Paris and I used to babysit for the author's family when I lived in New York. So it was easy for me to picture the family members mentioned in the memoir.

Anyway, I'm hoping to push 40 books this year. Although, honestly, I was looking at my stats ... the years that I read the most books are the years that I made the least music. Maybe I should reevaluate. But fiction ... escape ...

0 comments